Clydebank 1
Airdrie Res 2
League (Combined Reserve League - 1st Series)

1 - 2
 Airdrie Res

League (Combined Reserve League - 1st Series)
Saturday, August 28th, 1965
New Kilbowie Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Billy Horn (65)
Marshall (pen 25)
Marshall (40)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
1 Jim Brown
2 Tom Holloran
3 John Wark
4 Tony Moy
5 John McGill
6 Archie Rankin
7 Alan McLeish
8 Billy Horn
9 Bill Munro
10 Andy O'Brien
11 Jimmy O’Brien
McLaughlin 1
Corrigan 2
Hamilton 3
Reid 4
Black 5
Walters 6
Fowler 7
Hewitt 8
Marshall 9
Brown 10
Rogers 11

Match Officials

JR Grant (Referee)

Match Report

Only three minutes from full time both teams were reduced to ten players.

Airdrie's centre half, Black, was ordered off the field by referee James R. Grant after a vicious foul on Bankies half back Rankin, who had to be assisted off with a right leg injury.

This was the result in the final forty five minutes of the match when Clydebank, being two goals down, gave an overwhelming burst of retaliation which disappointingly failed to end the contest at level pegging.

Airdrie went all out to ensure that they had the upper hand by the finish of the first half and the deservedly succeeded.

Play was evenly distributed during the first fifteen minutes of the game with both teams having their crack at goal.

On several occasions Clydebank with left wing brothers Andy and Jimmy O'Brien, kept the visitors on their toes and the large crowd of some 1000 supporters showed their appreciation to some of their clever and well engineered manoeuvres.

With each side battling for the opening goal relief came for Airdrie when they were awarded a penalty when Rodger was brought down in the penalty box.

The sturdy centre forward took the spot kick and confidently tapped the ball into the corner of the net to put Airdrie one up after 25 minutes.

Airdrie now determined to increase their lead kept stampeding on Bankies goalmouth but praise must go to keeper Brown who cleverly held them at bay. But eventually the constant pressure proved too much for him and the visitors added their second goal five minutes before the interval.

Again Marshall scored, when he nodded home a Black cross to catch Brown completely unaware.

The restart brought new life to the poor first half Clydebank team. In spite of them finishing badly on countless occasions, Bankies had ceased the inaccurate and short passing which they developed early on in the match.

One outstanding incident came when a corner kick by McLeish seemed a cert for Horn to place home. His head connected but luck was not on their side as the ball was knocked off the line by an Airdrie defender.

After 65 minutes Clydebank netted their one and only goal. It was the inside left who scored from close range giving Airdrie's keeper McLaghlan no chance at all of stopping.

Bankies continued to press until the end of the game but failed to obtain the valuable equalising goal to collect a point.

Clydebank face Queens Park at Hampden Park next week and will have a couple of new players on trial during the week. The much fancied Pat McMahon of Yoker and the centre with the famous name Dixie Dean of Neilston - both have been watched in the last few weeks.

Squad Statistics (as at August 28th, 1965)

1965-66 All Time
League Cups All
Jim Brown (GK) 3 - 0 - 3 -
Tom Holloran 3 - 0 - 3 -
Archie Rankin 2 - 0 - 2 -
John Wark 3 - 0 - 3 -
John McGill 3 - 0 - 3 -
Alan McLeish 310 - 31
Bill Munro 310 - 31
Andy O'Brien 320 - 32
Jimmy O’Brien 1 - 0 - 1 -
Tony Moy 2 - 0 - 2 -
Billy Horn 310 - 31