Clydebank 1
Lanark United 0
League (Central District Division 1)

1 - 0
 Lanark United

League (Central District Division 1)
Saturday, August 27th, 2005
Glenhead Park. Att. 367
3:00 PM Kick-off

Ryan Waddell (63)

Team Managers
Billy McGhie
Tam McDonald

Starting Eleven
1 Paul Halpin
2 Scott McKay
3 Sean Brady
4 Brian Harkin
5 Mick Fallen
6 Jon Crawford
7 Des Kelly
8 Gordon Lappin
9 Mark Hailstones
10 Chris McKee
11 Clinton Maxwell
Young 1
Shearer 2
Armstrong 3
McCloy 4
Middleton 5
Nicholls 6
Imrie 7
Hughes 8
Johnston 9
Hanlon 10
Keegans 11

12 Colin Boylan
14 Ryan Scobie
15 Derek Readie
16 Ryan Waddell
17 David Fisher
McIntyre 12
Davies 14
Gibson 15
Stark 16
Muir 17

Derek Readie for Clinton Maxwell
Ryan Scobie for Mark Hailstones
Ryan Waddell for Jon Crawford (50)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

P McDowall (Referee)

Photography by Alistair McVicar

Match Report

A Ryan Waddell free-kick after 63 minutes proved to be the difference between the two sides at Glenhead Park. Bankies were involved in a battle from the start of this game and the referee was kept busy with a number of free-kick awards through-out the game. The ref avoided a dishing out cards in favour of giving players a 'talking to' for the most part.

The first half saw very few clear chances created for either side. A Fallen header went just over the bad after a cross from the right. Best efforts for the Bankies were from Hailstones after good build-up play sent him free on the left - but he blasted over as the keeper closed the angle. A freekick from the hillside touchline provided a chance for Maxwell but his diving header bounced just wide.

The visitors looked a good side going forward and gave the Clydebank defence a torrid time. They had one moved where the ball ended up being volleyed into the net from the edge of the box but the flag had already gone up for other players who had strayed into offside positions. Bankies had another great escape when Clydebank Keeper Halpin got involved in a chase for the ball out to the cornerflag but lost out to the Lanark forward who turned the ball across the box... only to see his team-mate thump it just over the crossbar with Bankies players and 'keeper struggling back to cover the goaline.

The ref blew for half-time and the teams went in level. The pitch received a sprinkling of rain at the break but the sun shone again when the players came out for the second half.

Halpin had more to do at the beginning of the second half, diving to his left post to keep out a low effort. Then the Bankies defence was caught off-guard leaving Halpin in a race to clear the ball at the edge of the box. Again a Lanark striker got there first and touched the ball wide of the keeper - however his shot was sliced just wide of the gaping goals

Bankies made the first of three substitutions with Waddle replacing Crawford after about 50 minutes. Bankies had failed to make anything from free kicks earlier in the game so perhaps Waddle would provide better delivery.

But the Lanark forward line continued to stretch the home defence and a bit of bickering went on among themselves as they tried to iron out the difficulties.

The game was to change in the 63rd minute when Bankies were awarded a free-kick outside penalty area in a wide position. Everyone expected a high-cross into the box as Bankies piled players into the box but instead Ryan Waddell struck the ball low and curled it through a crowd of players and into the net at the far post.

The Bankies crowd was lifted by the goal but almost silenced a few minutes later when a long-range shot whizzed towards the postage stamp corner until Halpin touched it onto the post.

There were further Bankies substitutions with Readie replacing Maxwell and Scobie replacing Hailstones. The visitors tried to press forward and saw another volley go just wide. Then in injury-time a low cutback across the Bankies 6-yard box goal no takers. At ten to five the final whistle signalled that Clydebank had done enough to take their first 3 league points of the season.

Squad Statistics (as at August 27th, 2005)

2005-06 All Time
League Cups All
Paul Halpin (GK) 2 - 2 - 23 -
Sean Brady 2 - 4 - 383
Mick Fallen 2 - 2 - 384
Scott McKay 2 - 4161
Brian Harkin 1 - 2 - 6610
Jon Crawford 2 - 0 - 18222
Des Kelly 2 - 1 - 251
Mark Hailstones 2 - 417521
Gordon Lappin 2 - 4161
Chris McKee 2 - 3252
Clinton Maxwell 1 - 427022
Ryan Waddell (sub) 111 - 669
Ryan Scobie (sub) 2 - 0 - 161
Derek Readie (sub) 1 - 41334

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match
27th August 2005
Clydebank1-0Lanark United
Cumbernauld Un3-2Yoker Athletic
Greenock Jrs0-0Lesmahagow
Rutherglen Glen0-3East Kilbride Th
Shettleston1-0St Anthonys
Vale of Leven6-0Thorniewood U

League Table (as at August 27th, 2005)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Shettleston 2 2 0 0 +2 6
2. Cumbernauld Un 2 1 1 0 +1 4
3. Lesmahagow 2 1 1 0 +1 4
4. Vale of Leven 2 1 0 1 +5 3
5. East Kilbride Th 2 1 0 1 +2 3
6. Clydebank 2 1 0 1 0 3
7. St Anthonys 2 1 0 1 0 3
8. Rutherglen Glen 2 1 0 1 -1 3
9. Thorniewood U 2 1 0 1 -5 3
10. Lanark United 2 0 1 1 -1 1
11. Greenock Jrs 2 0 1 1 -1 1
12. Yoker Athletic 2 0 0 2 -3 0