Clydebank 2
Airdrie Res 2
League (Combined Reserve League - 2nd Series)

2 - 2
 Airdrie Res

League (Combined Reserve League - 2nd Series)
Saturday, April 23rd, 1966
New Kilbowie Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Billy Horn (5)
Tony Moy (48)
Morrison (10)
Fowler (36)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
1 Ronnie Wilson
2 Graham Small
3 John Wark
4 Eddie Jenkins
5 John McGill
6 Archie Rankin
7 Andy O'Brien
8 Tony Moy
9 Jimmy Hodgson
10 Tommy McGhee
11 Billy Horn
McLaughlan 1
Caldwell 2
Hamilton 3
Reid 4
Walters 5
Gardner 6
Fowler 7
Robertson 8
Morrison 9
Breen 10
Irvine 11

Match Officials

R Gordon (Referee)

Match Report

Clydebank, whose expectations are high in being voted into the perhaps new Scottish Third Division next season, gave an ambitious performance when they met Airdrie Reserves on Saturday at Kilbowie Park.

Directors of the club, Jack and Charlie Steedman, were hoping the team would once again win the Combined Reserve League Flag but with only one game in hand before the end of the season their only chance is to obtain second position in the league table.

Bankies oppose Airdrie again on Wednesday evening, this time at Broomfield Park. Airdrie, and their final game of the year will be against Rangers Reserves next Saturday.

One young inside forward, Clydebank's 19 year old Joe Rankin will not be playing football until next season due to a bad left leg injury.

Although the visitors played some constructive football during the match it was the Bankies who looked the more promising side to collect both points... but carelessness ruined this.

This was soon proved when with only two minutes of play gone an easy opportunity for Horn was tossed away. But three minutes later he recovered and cleverly netted from a solo run.

Then five minutes later Airdrie equalised when an error by Bankies keeper Wilson resulted in a simple goal for centre forward Morrison.

In retaliation, Horn and Moy inside a few minutes of each other produced excellent solo manoeuvres but on both occasions with only the keeper to beat, they failed to score.

With Airdrie evidently pressing for a first half winning goal their perseverance deservedly did so just nine minutes before the half time whistle. The scorer was right wing half Fowler whose masterful drive left keeper Wilson bewildered.

The restart was more rewarding for the homesters and inside three minutes they clinched the equaliser from a smartly engineered and clever manoeuvre.

It was a neat pass from centre forward Hodgson to his right hand colleague Tony Moy that gave him his wonderful opportunity and he made no mistake.

A direct free kick taken Hodgson spectacularly swooped over the heads of the opposing wall of players including keeper McLaughlan but there was a resounding sigh from the small crowd when the ball deflected off the right hand corner of the crossbar.

Both sides battled hard for the winning goal but only one outstanding effort came from the home combination. It was a double header from two of the inside trio, Moy and Hodgson.

The original move was started by Moy who collected the bouncing ball nodding it goalwards, but the keeper managed to push it clear only to reach the head of Hodgson. He had the entire goalmouth to himself but he headed the ball just over the bar.

Squad Statistics (as at April 23rd, 1966)

1965-66 All Time
League Cups All
Ronnie Wilson (GK) 12 - 0 - 12 -
Graham Small 920 - 92
Archie Rankin 17 - 1 - 18 -
John Wark 18 - 1 - 19 -
John McGill 16 - 1 - 17 -
Eddie Jenkins 910 - 91
Tommy McGhee 810 - 81
Andy O'Brien 1451 - 155
Jimmy Hodgson 761187
Billy Horn 1341 - 144
Tony Moy 18121 - 1912