Clydebank 1
Lesmahagow 1
League (Super Division One)

1 - 1

League (Super Division One)
Saturday, December 15th, 2007
Glenhead Park. Att. 325
1:45 PM Kick-off

Paul Craig (19)
Murray Watson (Pen) 31

Team Managers
Billy McGhie

Starting Eleven
1 Barry John Corr
2 Paul Allum
3 Martin McInnes
4 Andy Kenna
5 John Cunningham
6 Sinclair Soutar
7 Brian Miller
8 Gordon Lappin
9 Mark Hailstones
10 James Lennox
11 Paul Craig

14 Barry Docherty
12 Colin Sutherland
15 Lee Sichi
16 Scott Friel
18 Stefan Gonet

Barry Docherty for Brian Miller (69)
Colin Sutherland for Andy Kenna (69)
Lee Sichi for Paul Craig (81)

James Lennox

Red Cards
James Lennox (83)
#7 (89)
Match Officials

Match Report

After last weeks Scottish Cup victory and a hastily arranged 4-0 friendly win over Neilston in midweek Clydebank approached this game with confidence. However, they had to face Lesmahagow with some crucial players missing, Jack, Carr, Bowie and Packham all absent after last week and longer term they were still without Fisher and Friel. So the depth of the squad was tested to the full for this encounter.

There was a shortage of goal mouth incident in the early stages though Allum and Hailstones worked well on the right putting Miller through but the ‘keeper gathered well. Only 5 minutes in Brian Miller, for the second week in a row, was on the end of a horrendous challenge which resulted in the talented winger needing treatment.

The first corner of the match came for Lesmahagow when Cunningham tackled well in defence. The ‘Gow produced another two corners in quick succession but Corr’s goal was never threatened. Miller and Craig worked a fine one two to produce the Bankie’s first corner of the match but neither ‘keeper seemed in danger of conceding.

With defences on top it wasn’t clear where a goal would come from but then on 19 minutes Hailstones cut in from the right and fired a shot at goal, it was straight at Thomson and he easily gathered but entering into the Christmas spirit he then easily dropped the ball and Paul Craig was sharp enough to poke the ball home and get his first league goal of the season.

Clydebank had done well to limit the visitors to long range shooting and their only immediate reply to the goal was another wild effort from distance. Bankies should have doubled their lead on 26 minutes when the industrious Hailstones played in Craig on the left and he hit a shot across the ‘keeper that rolled agonisingly wide of the far post.

Lesmahagow won a free kick 19 yards out in a central position but the Bankies wall held firm and blocked. The visitors were now getting a fair amount of possession but still hadn’t brought a direct save out of Corr in the Bankie’s goal. However, they were awarded a golden opportunity just after the half hour when Andy Kenna was judged to have handled in the box. Murray Watson stepped forward and dispatched the penalty high to Corr’s left into the net.

Bankies were jolted into action and before the break Hailstones and Craig worked another move on the left that again resulted in the big striker firing a shot across Thomson but wide of the post. Hailstones then gathered a long ball and battled his way into the box but lost his footing at the vital moment and Thomson smothered the ball. This was followed by a fine Lennox run and he released Craig who shot at the ‘keeper. The ‘Gow forced another corner but the teams went in level at half time.

The start of the second half followed the same pattern as the first, some nice possession and passing from both teams without either ‘keeper being over worked. A sweet set of passes from the visitors, starting in their own half resulted in a corner. Then Miller came to life for the Bankies on the right wing forcing Thomson to gather a cross and then producing a corner from a similar move. Indeed Allum and Miller were now working well on the right flank and causing the ‘Gow defence some problems. They were also getting more joy on the left with Hailstones working the other side of the visitor’s back line.

As one of these crosses flashed into the box just after the hour mark Bankies had a penalty claim of their own for hand ball but nothing was awarded. As the game wore own both teams started having more pops at goal. ‘Gow scorer Watson cut in from the left and Corr had to tip his shot over the bar. Hailstones had a free kick attempt held by Thomson before Watson again had a weaker shot held by Corr.

Bankies had another penalty claim turned down when Paul Craig had the legs taken from him in the box but incredibly the referee waved play on. Both teams then traded dangerous crosses as Allum saw a wicked delivery well held by the ‘Gow number 1, then Corr dived low to tip a cross out of the six yard box.

On 82 minutes Corr was forced to pull off an incredible double save when he touched away a Watson shot, a forward followed in and headed toward the gaping goal but unbelievably Corr was back on his feet to touch the ball out for a corner via the post. A minute later the game swung towards Lesmahagow when James Lennox picked up a second yellow card and Clydebank were reduced to 10 men and with Kenna already substituted it left the Bankies short of a hard tackling midfield ball winner for the closing minutes of the match.

Lesmahagow strove to turn Clydebank’s misfortune to their advantage and as they threw a ball into the box Cunningham headed coolly back to Corr. As Bankies tried to reorganise their 10 men the ‘Gow broke down the right and Corr was on hand to save again as the advancing forward tried to chip home.

As the game entered the dying minutes Bankies fought back. Sichi weaved himself some space on the right and passed to Hailstones whose shot was blocked. In the first minute of injury time Lesmahagow were reduced to 10 men when their winger was sent off for a poor challenge on Allum. From the free kick Lappin fired in a cross and Hailstones just failed to control the ball in the box and get a shot away.

The game finished 1-1 with the final 20 minutes producing more goal attempts than the rest of the game put together. However, both teams had spells of good possession with a lot of tidy passing and a share of the points was a fair result.

In a busy festive schedule Clydebank are at home to Kilwinning Rangers next week who were handsome 8-2 winners against Maryhill today. Maryhill are Bankie’s opponents the following week Saturday 29th December. In further news Clydebank discovered it will be Blairgowrie they face in the next round of the Scottish Cup after they disposed of Banchory 5-1 in a third round replay today. More stern tests for what seems to be a diminished playing squad at present.

Squad Statistics (as at December 15th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
League Cups All
Barry John Corr (GK) 3 - 1 - 4 -
Paul Allum 8 - 61281
Martin McInnes 1019 - 563
John Cunningham 9 - 8 - 595
Sinclair Soutar 7 - 2 - 71 -
James Lennox 9371164
Andy Kenna 106825314
Brian Miller 1 - 1 - 2 -
Gordon Lappin 91838714
Mark Hailstones 1017414037
Paul Craig 8176157
Barry Docherty (sub) 5 - 7 - 41 -
Colin Sutherland (sub) 4 - 3 - 7 -
Lee Sichi (sub) 6 - 6 - 12 -

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
1st December 2007
Largs Thistle1-2Vale of Clyde
8th December 2007
Kilwinning Rgrs5-4Renfrew
Maybole0-3Kilbirnie Lade
Vale of Clyde1-2Maryhill
15th December 2007
Largs Thistle3-1Annbank United
Maryhill2-8Kilwinning Rgrs
Maybole4-3Kirk Rob Roy
Renfrew0-0Vale of Clyde
Troon0-0Johnstone Burgh

League Table (as at December 15th, 2007)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Kirk Rob Roy 11 7 2 2 +3 23
2. Largs Thistle 12 6 4 2 +6 22
3. Vale of Clyde 13 6 3 4 +3 21
4. Maybole 11 6 1 4 +1 19
5. East Kilbride Th 9 5 3 1 +5 18
6. Kilwinning Rgrs 11 5 1 5 +6 16
7. Clydebank 10 4 4 2 +5 16
8. Lesmahagow 11 3 5 3 +5 14
9. Kilbirnie Lade 10 4 2 4 +3 14
10. Annbank United 11 4 0 7 0 12
11. Maryhill 9 4 0 5 -14 12
12. Renfrew 12 3 2 7 -2 11
13. Troon 11 1 5 5 -6 8
14. Johnstone Burgh 9 0 2 7 -15 2