Clydebank 2
Stranraer 3

2 - 3

Saturday, December 11th, 1965
New Kilbowie Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Joe Rankin (20)
Joe Rankin (80)
Murdoch (5)
Hanlon (24)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
Ronnie Wilson
Graham Small
John Wark
Bill Munro
Archie Rankin
John McGill
Alan McLeish
Eddie Jenkins
Tom Connelly
Tony Moy
Joe Rankin
Sneddon 1
Shanks 2
Brown 3
Stan King 4
Ferguson 5
Logan 6
Murdoch 7
Hanlon 8
Newman 9
McDonald 10
Bingham 11

Match Officials

T Kellock (Referee)

Match Report

A sudden blitz by Clydebank forwards in the final ten minutes of the match amazingly failed to clinch the equalising goal in this challenge contest.

Stranraer were completely at the mercy of the home team in the last minute burst. Both teams battled it out in Stranraer's goal area but to the disappointment of the small crowd of supporters, shots taken by every forward continuously ricocheted off both posts and crossbar.

The muddy conditions of Kilbowie Park gave both teams some difficulty in controlling the ball and many simple scoring opportunities went abegging.

This Second Division Stranraer side the same team which narrowly beat Third Lanark two Saturdays ago, were quick to display their attacking strength and as a result grasped a snap goal after only five minutes.

Stranraer's Newman at centre - an ex-Motherwell player - started his trial debut in great style when he made the opening for winger Murdoch who confidently put his team ahead.

Although stunned by their opponents goal Clydebank hit back and cleverly netted the equaliser. A Moy shot rebounding off the bar was inevitably placed homewards by left winger Joe Rankin in the 20th minute.

Then Hanlan once again put his team one up. He blasted Stranraer ahead when he scored with a shot from a Murdoch pass after 24 minutes. Clydebank attempted to equalise but at half time point they were still one goal under.

The restart looked as if Stranraer had everything wrapped up. They were in complete control and the only player that seemed to be repelling was keeper Wilson. He gave a good performance and received loud praises from the supporters.

Eventually Wilson gave way and Stranraer were two goals ahead. It was McDonald who collected a loose ball and without hesitation calmly flicked an angular shot over keeper Wilson's head and into the rear of the net.

From then on Bankies stood their ground and for the first time in the match the forward line seemed to confidently weave their way through the opponents defence.

The home team managed to decrease the goal average in the 80th minute when Joe Rankin scored his team's second goal.

The final minutes of the match was completely glorified by Bankies ever lasting efforts to make level pegging, but everything was in vain.

Squad Statistics (as at December 11th, 1965)

1965-66 All Time
League Cups All