Clydebank 1
Swindon Town 2

1 - 2
 Swindon Town

Monday, July 28th, 1980
New Kilbowie Park
7:30 PM Kick-off

Joe Sweeny (17)
Andy Rowland (12)
Roy Greenwood (18)

Team Managers
Bill Munro

Starting Eleven
Jim Gallacher
Tony Gervaise
Jim Fallon
Gerry McLauchlan
Barry Evans
Jimmy Given
Tommy Harkins
Davie Houston
Blair Millar
Joe Sweeny
Gerry McCabe
Tom McAlister 1
Colin Barrett 2
David Peach 3
Chris Kamara 4
Andy Rollings 5
KenStroud 6
Steve Abbley 7
Glenn Cockerill 8
Andy Rowland 9
Roy Greenwood 10
Brian Williams 11

Gerry Colgan
Joe McBride
Johnny McIntyre
John Templeman
Alan Mayes
Ian Miller
Billy Tucker
Jimmy Allan

Gerry Colgan for Jim Fallon (34)
Johnny McIntyre for Tommy Harkins (45)
Joe McBride for Joe Sweeny (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Match Report

Clydebank suffered from a dose of pre-season blues when they struggled to find form against touring Swindon Town. It was Bankies first jaunt on a park since the end of the last season and they found it hard to rid themselves of the shackles that bind players bereft of match fitness.

The new-look Bankies bolstered by recent signings Gerry McCabe and Barry Evans never looked capable of overwhelming last season's English League Cup semi-finalists. But as a training exercise for the arduous season ahead, the match must be looked on as a success.

There were visible signs that the Kilbowie men have a possible blend - especially at the back where the defence gave a settled appearance.

All the goals on Monday night came in a hectic six-minute flurry in the first half ... and from then on the game failed to reach dizzy heights.

The bright spot for Bankies' boss Bill Munro in an otherwise drab display was the performance of ex-Morton man Evans. He slotted into his defensive role with ease and looked as if he had played there for years. He was the main reason that Swindon didn't add to their tally during some intense pressure after the interval

Clydebank's other new man, former Clyde midfielder McCabe, had an encouraging first half, but faded after the break.

It was McCabe, in fact, who lost the ball in midfield after 12 minutes to allow Swindon to take the lead. Barrett dispossessed him, slipped the ball to Cockerill and Rowland was left with the easiest of tap-ins to open the scoring.

Five minutes later Bankies levelled the scores when big Joe Sweeney, looking as sharp and precise as a surgeon's scalpel, latched on to a Gervaise through ball and lobbed a shot cutely over the advancing McAllister.

Swindon restored their lead within a minute with a goal that was sheer poetry in motion. Full-back Peach picked up the ball on the halfway line, played a one-two with Kamara and released the ball at just the right moment for the overlapping Williams.

The winger first-timed his cross and Greenwood, running from deep, met it perfectly to volley the ball past Gallacher.

Bankies fans had a further setback 11 minutes from the interval when veteran defender Jim Fallon limped off after he was injured in a tussle with Cockerill and he was replaced by Colgan. Fallon's injury didn't look to serious and the decision to take him off was probably a precautionary measure.

Five minutes from half-time Millar had a chance to grab the equaliser when he rose stupendously to meet a Houston free kick-but his header was well saved at the post by McAllister.

The English visitors had the ball in the net again just before the interval, but a foul was given against Rowland for pushing.

Clydebank came out for the second instalment with McIntyre on for young Tommy Harkins, who had looked ineffective during the first period.

Five minutes after the break Swindon's star man Kamara, having an enthralling midfield battle with Houston, clipped a cross into the danger area on to the head of Rowland but the big striker's header was confidently saved by Gallacher.

The 'keeper had to move smartly off his line to clear the danger three minutes later when Abbley was sent clean through. The near miss seemed to inspire the English side and they took firm control of the game while Clydebank struggled to get going

With 12 minutes remaining Bankies sent on young McBride to replace Sweeney bid to freshen things up front, but Swindon, using all cup-tie experience of last season held on competently to preserve their narrow lead.

Squad Statistics (as at July 28th, 1980)

1980-81 All Time
League Cups All

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match

League Table (as at July 28th, 1980)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.