Clydebank 2
Stenhousemuir 1
League Cup (Group 9)

2 - 1

League Cup (Group 9)
Saturday, August 19th, 1967
New Kilbowie Park. Att. 1,819
3:00 PM Kick-off

Martin Russell (o.g.) (46)
Tony Moy (67)
Frank Donnachie (17)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman
Jimmy Weir

Starting Eleven
1 Dick Madden
2 John Boyd
3 Davie Mitchell
4 Ernie Collumbine
5 Frank McAleer
6 Tommy McGhee
7 Harry Rutherford
8 Stan King
9 Jim Fleming
10 Tony Moy
11 John Baxter
Jim Samson 1
Jim Ferguson 2
Martin Russell 3
Frank Cassells 4
Ian Rae 5
Andy Bowman 6
George Ramsay 7
Maurice Elliot 8
Frank Donnachie 9
Jimmy McGregor 10
Billy Clark 11

12 Eddie Jenkins
Bobby Black 12

None. None.

Tommy McGhee (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

AE MacDonald (Referee)

Match Report

Tony Moy's second-half strike secured a hard-fought 2-1 victory for Clydebank over Stenhousemuir at Kilbowie Park in the Scottish League Cup.

A 2,000-strong crowd witnessed a dominant second-half performance from the Bankies after a scrappy opening period.

Stenhousemuir started brightly on a perfect pitch and nearly took the lead within two minutes. Clark's close-range effort went wide, letting Clydebank off the hook.

The opening exchanges lacked clear opportunities, with both sides struggling to settle. A moment of brilliance from McGhee in the sixth minute sparked the home crowd. He weaved past defenders before finding Rutherford on the wing, whose cross found Moy in the centre. However, Moy's shot failed to find the target.

Controversy struck in the 14th minute when Stenhousemuir's Bowman bundled the ball into the net after a goalmouth scramble. The referee, however, disallowed the goal for offside, much to the relief of the home team.

Stenhousemuir didn't dwell on the setback and took the lead through Donnachie in the 19th minute. The Clydebank defence was static as Donnachie slotted home a pass from Clark.

Despite strong attacking play, Clydebank's finishing let them down in the first half. Several shots flashed past the goal but failed to trouble the Stenhousemuir goalkeeper.

A more determined Clydebank side emerged after the halftime break. They equalized in the 47th minute through an own goal by Stenhousemuir's Russell after a corner from Baxter.

The game turned on its head in the 67th minute when Moy found the breakthrough. He broke through the Stenhousemuir defence and slotted the ball past goalkeeper Samson to give Clydebank the lead.

Stenhousemuir pressed for an equaliser in the closing stages. They felt they should have been awarded penalties on two occasions, but the referee remained unmoved. Additionally, a goal-line clearance by Boyd for Clydebank looked like a handball, but play continued.

Despite Stenhousemuir's claims and late pressure, Clydebank held on for a deserved victory to progress in the League Cup.

How the other side saw it

Stenhousemuir felt they were hard done by in their 2-1 defeat to Clydebank at Kilbowie Park, claiming missed opportunities and questionable refereeing decisions cost them at least a point.

The visitors started brightly and almost took the lead within minutes. Clark spurned a golden chance after a Bowman pass, sending his shot wide with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Shortly after, a goalmouth scramble resulted in Donachie firing the ball into the net. The referee initially awarded the goal, but after consulting a linesman, inexplicably disallowed it for offside.

Stenhousemuir remained undeterred and deservedly took the lead through Donachie following a rebound saved by Madden from McGregor's powerful shot.

However, the second half saw a change in fortunes. Clydebank equalized through an own goal by Russell after a corner. Tony Moy then struck the winner for the home side in the 67th minute.

Stenhousemuir felt they should have had a penalty in the closing stages when Elliott was fouled inside the area. Additionally, a goal-line clearance by Boyd for Clydebank appeared to be a handball, but the referee waved play on.

The report acknowledges the poor refereeing that affected both teams, with Stenhousemuir particularly frustrated by decisions that went against them. Despite a strong showing in the first half and late pressure, they ultimately fell short due to missed chances and controversial calls.

They credit their players, highlighting the performances of Samson, Rae, Bowman, and Clark.

Squad Statistics (as at August 19th, 1967)

1967-68 All Time
League Cups All
Dick Madden (GK) 0 - 3 - 3 -
Ernie Collumbine 0 - 3 - 43 -
Stan King 0 - 3 - 3 -
Davie Mitchell 0 - 3 - 313
Frank McAleer 0 - 3 - 4 -
John Boyd 0 - 3 - 3 -
John Baxter 0 - 3 - 3 -
Tommy McGhee 0 - 3 - 545
Tony Moy 0 - 215941
Harry Rutherford 0 - 2 - 2 -
Jim Fleming 0 - 3232

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match

League Table (as at August 19th, 1967)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.