Clydebank 1
East Kilbride Th 3
Central League Cup (2nd Round)

1 - 3
 East Kilbride Th

Central League Cup (2nd Round)
Wednesday, April 25th, 2018
Holm Park
6:45 PM Kick-off

John Cunningham (60)
Matt Gray (47)
Dougie Ryan (75)
John Cunningham (og 76)

Team Managers
Kieran McAnespie

Starting Eleven
20 Scott Morrison
14 Chris Dooley
3 Andy Paterson
5 Jamie Darroch
21 Matt McLean
12 Reece Pearson
11 Josh Watt
8 Ryan Deas
10 Stevie Higgins
11 John Cunningham
9 Jordan Shelvey
Martin Meek 1
Liam Barclay 2
Callum McLean 3
Matt Gray 4
Ross Gillan 5
Chris Faulds 6
Scott Gillespie 7
Ross Campbell 8
Dougie Ryan 9
Ally Morgan 10
Kevin McLean 11

4 Alan Vezza
7 Cammy McClair
15 Ross Forsyth
17 Ross Alexander
1 Marc Waters
Martyn McLaughlin 12
Jordan White 14
Graeme Marshall 15
Paul Byrne 16
Scott McKean 17

Cammy McClair for Stevie Higgins (65)
Martyn McLaughlin -> Callum McLean (52)
Jordan White -> Ross Campbell (77)
Graeme Marshall -> Ross Gillan (78)

Stevie Higgins (24)
Ryan Deas (32)
Josh Watt (79)
Ross Campbell (14)

Red Cards
Ryan Deas (48)
Reece Pearson (48)
Match Officials

Euan Birch (Referee)

Match Report

Well it’s not often you see your own team mates fighting with each other. In fact, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen two Clydebank players throw punches at each other but that’s what happened tonight. The flashpoint happened just after East Kilbride had taken the lead. Reece Pearson having his now trademark anonymous game played a dreadful pass to Ryan Deas that was intercepted setting up an attack for the visitors. Deas subsequently fouled the Thistle player resulting in a second yellow card. Deas didn’t even look at the ref to receive his card, instead turning to face down Pearson. At the time I thought Deas, obviously blaming Pearson for his red card, would be ushered away by other players, but before anyone could react the two players were throwing punches at each other. Both players were sent off. In retrospect, Deas didn’t really need to foul the East Kilbride player, but having done so he blamed Pearson. From my point of view, it seemed that Deas reaction was out of frustration. You don’t lose the rag over one incident. This must have been boiling under for some time, and in my opinion it is due to the lack of any effective support from Pearson to Deas in the midfield. I have said in previous reports that Pearson is a liability. He has been subbed at half time twice at half time in recent weeks, and he must have been close to it again tonight. In no way can Deas actions be condoned even if I can understand where it came from. The repercussions from this will be interesting to see.

This incident pretty much killed the game as a contest, as East Kilbride got their reward once the Bankies began to tire. But to go back to the beginning, this match was switched to Holm Park in the early afternoon, presumably as there is some kind of problem with East Kilbride’s Show Park. The visitors were probably the better side overall in the first half as the Bankies were disappointing. There was not much in the way of goal scoring opportunities for either side. The visitors did take the lead two minutes after the break when Gray had a free header from a corner kick. At this stage, I still thought the Bankies would prevail, but the red cards put paid to that.

For the next fifteen minutes the Bankies actually played very well with the nine men, and East Kilbride looked a tad on the nervy side. It was no real surprise when the equaliser came on the hour. A ball played forward broke kindly for John Cunningham, who blasted the ball into the next from the edge of the box leaving Meek rooted to the spot. Bankies fans were starting to think they might just be able to do this, but it was not to be.

Slowly but surely, Thistle started to make the two man advantage count. Shortly before they took the lead in the 75th minute, they had a shot come off the post. When the goal came it was a scrappy affair with Morrison blocking a shot at the back post that fell kindly to Ryan who tapped into the empty net. Before the Bankies could recover, East Kilbride scored again. A cross to the back post was headed into the net. From my vantage point, it looked like it was John Cunningham who put the ball into his own net under pressure.

And that was game over.

Match report written by Stuart McBay

Squad Statistics (as at April 25th, 2018)

2017-18 All Time
League Cups All
Scott Morrison (GK) 3 - 7 - 10 -
Jamie Darroch 15 - 91573
Andy Paterson 16 - 9 - 1987
Matt McLean 9 - 6 - 15 -
Chris Dooley 5 - 7 - 12 -
Reece Pearson 16 - 101575
Ryan Deas 172102274
Jordan Shelvey 16411912027
John Cunningham 553388
Josh Watt 15261213
Stevie Higgins 633295
Cammy McClair (sub) 6 - 3191

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match
25th April 2018
Hurlford United1-0Auchinleck Talb
Kirk Rob Roy3-2Arthurlie

League Table (as at April 25th, 2018)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Kilwinning Rgrs 17 11 2 4 +15 35
2. Beith Juniors 17 10 3 4 +22 33
3. Pollok 19 9 6 4 +15 33
4. Kilbirnie Lade 17 7 6 4 0 27
5. Glenafton Ath 16 7 5 4 +6 26
6. Auchinleck Talb 14 8 1 5 +17 25
7. Kirk Rob Roy 14 6 3 5 0 21
8. Cumnock 17 5 4 8 -7 19
9. Clydebank 17 5 2 10 -12 17
10. Hurlford United 13 3 2 8 -12 11
11. Arthurlie 16 2 4 10 -25 10
12. Girvan 15 1 6 8 -19 9