Clydebank 1
Carlisle Utd 2

1 - 2
 Carlisle Utd

Wednesday, August 3rd, 1977
New Kilbowie Park
3:00 PM Kick-off

Tommy Callaghan (85)
Mike McCartney (42)
Les Mutrie (86)

Team Managers
Bill Munro
Bobby Moncur

Starting Eleven
Jim Gallacher
Norrie Hall
Gregor Abel
Dougie Hay
Gerry McLauchlan
Tommy Callaghan
Gerry Ronald
Jimmy Lumsden
Mike Larnach
Joe McCallan
Gerry O'Brien

Gerry Colgan

Gerry Colgan for Gerry Ronald
Carr -> Bonnyman (52)
Ludlam -> Lathan (52)
Mutrie ->Rafferty (86)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

J Delaney (Referee)

Match Report

Clydebank kicked-off their most important season ever with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at the hands of Third Division side Carlisle United in a challenge match at Kilbowie Park. The Brunton Park side were in the top tier just three seasons ago, but have suffered a couple of relegations in relatively quick succession. It was also a first taste of life for the Bankies without the influential Davie Cooper who moved to Rangers in the summer for a fee of £100,000.

The Bankies started brightly enough with new boys O’Brien and Colgan in the line-up. In front of a fair sized crowd, including Hearts manager Willie Ormond, Davie Cooper’s replacement Gerry Ronald did his best to justify the pre-match build up given by manager Bill Munro.

It was old hand Jimmy Lumsden who created the first scoring chance – unfortunately it was for Carlisle. He was short with a pass-back to Jim Gallacher, and Tait was given a chance to put the ball away. But the Gal showed all his class from last season by neatly stepping off his line to thwart the forward.

Despite a few counter attacks the Bankies were under pressure for much of the first half. Carlisle's was a story of industry, honesty and determination. There were few frills about their play-disciplined and controlled football was their trademark. But it was a win for the organisation and teamwork at Carlisle. There were no stand-out heroes and there were no failures.

The game wasn't even 20 minutes old and already It was clear that United were streets ahead. By then John Lathan was just an inch short of sweeping home a Billy Rafferty pass and Mick Tait had shaved the crossbar with & rasping 20-yarder.

In the 17th minute Carlisle pieced together a classic move. Phil Bonnyman threaded a neat ball out to George McVitie who, after leaving one defender for dead, measured the perfect centre for Rafferty to power in. Sadly for United the knee of mesmerised home 'keeper Gallacher denied the Cumbrians a merited opener.

There was a scare when Steve Hoolickin had to block a McCallan header on the line but that was only a brief moment of menace from the home men. And in the 42nd minute Carlisle surprised no-one by going ahead.

Bonnyman's long throw from the right was headed on by Tait and when Gallacher failed to cut out the danger full back MIKE MCCARTNEY screamed in to power the loose ball home from eight yards.

United brought on substitutes Carr and Ludlam for Lathan and Bonnyman in the 62nd minute and seconds later only a brilliant piece of goalkeeping prevented Carlisle stretching their lead when Rafferty's powerful header from a McVitie cross was somehow pawed away by Gallacher.

After Tait had a header cleared off the line, Clydebank staged a despairing late rally that made little impression until a slip by the previously untested Allan Ross allowed the Scots in for a leveller in the 85th minute.

The Carlisle 'keeper was unable to hold Lumsden's centre from the right leaving CALLAGHAN free to blast in from 12 yards.

But straight from the kick-off Carlisle were back in front. Ludlam, also making his debut, wormed his way through from his own half to get up MUTRIE who, after riding one challenge, eased his way round Gallagher to roll the ball into the empty net.

Squad Statistics (as at August 3rd, 1977)

1977-78 All Time
League Cups All

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match

League Table (as at August 3rd, 1977)

Pld W D L +/- Pts

No games played.