Clydebank 2
Dunfermline 2
League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)

2 - 2

League Cup (3rd Round 2nd Leg)
Wednesday, October 26th, 1977
New Kilbowie Park. Att. 2,161
7:30 PM Kick-off

Billy McColl (9)
Sandy McNaughton (15)
Bobby Morrison (37)
Bobby Morrison (88)

Team Managers
Bill Munro
Harry Melrose

Starting Eleven
1 Colin King
2 Norrie Hall
3 Tony Gervaise
4 Jim Fallon
5 John McCormack
6 Dougie Hay
7 Sandy McNaughton
8 Billy McColl
9 Mike Larnach
10 Joe McCallan
11 Gerry O'Brien
Hugh Whyte 1
Kenny Thomson 2
Bonar Mercer 3
Bobby Roberston 4
John Salton 5
Jim Meakin 6
Kenny Watson 7
Walter Borthwick 8
Roddy Georgeson 9
Paul Donnelly 10
Bobby Morrison 11

Tommy Callaghan
Davie Houston
John Nelson 12
Jim Mullin 14

None. Jim Mullin -> Kenny Watson

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

K Hope (Referee)

Match Report

Bankies tumbled out of the League Cup in embarrassing fashion at Kilbowie on Wednesday night.

Bill Munro brought in Gerry O'Brien for Colgan - and for the first 15 minutes everything in the Kilbowie garden was lovely, for by then Bankies had pulled back that two goal deficit from the first leg.

Billy McColl got the first in the ninth minute. McCallan teased the Fife defence before slanting the ball to McColl who pivoted round to send a left foot lob over 'keeper Whyte.

Six minutes later McNaughton made it two with his first goal for the club. O'Brien worked a one-two with Larnach before sending over a deft cross for the ex-Queen's Park man to head down into the net.

The Fifers came right back into the picture and delighted their fans by scoring a few minutes from the break. The Clydebank defence were slow to pick up Morrison who managed to squeeze the ball between King and the post.

Bankies dominated the second half but try as they might, they just couldn't find the net.

Mike Larnach had two efforts cleared from the line and just minutes before the end a Billy McColl free-kick thunderbolt struck the underside of the bar - but stayed out.

Two minutes from time Morrison capped a great night for him by heading home from a Georgeson cross.

report 2

The new Kilbowie floodlights were as brilliant as predicted; the gaily coloured stand seats were reasonably populated. But the audacious Fifers spoiled the party.

After taking an early hammering, during which their two-goal first-leg lead evaporated, second-division Dunfermline pulled one back before the interval-and two minutes from time added the sucker punch by scoring again.

It was difficult not to feel sorry for Clydebank. They seemed set to celebrate a historical night when they scored twice inside quarter of an hour. But like so many best-laid plans of mice and lesser mortals the script was torn up.

The 3000 or so who turned up to watch Bankies' attempt to rescue their league cup status were in jaunty mood after only 10 minutes, when McCallan slipped the ball to McColl, who cutely chipped it over White into the net.

Five minutes later Clydebank chests swelled in justifiable pride, O'Brien took a short corner to Larnach who returned the ball to the midfield man. His cross was headed sweetly by McNaughton - and the aggregate was all square.

The fans sat back-those in the new stand, that is and awaited the winner. But the home side apparently reckoned they had done enough, an attitude which rebounded on them in 37 minutes. Watson, on the right, pushed the ball to Morrison, who deftly shot inside the right-hand post.

The referee, Ken Hope, had to swop places with his stand-side linesman for the second half after pulling a muscle, and a Golden Labrador held up proceedings for a couple of minutes with the finest display of ball control seen all evening. Even so, Bankies, who never recaptured their early form, went near on a number of occasions in quick succession, A Larnach turn and shot was worth a goal; the striker should have done better than hit the ball over after a McColl shot was pushed out; and the same player had a close-in try blocked by the Fife 'keeper.

Bankies brought on Houston for O'Brien, but it was shooting-star Larnach who went close again with a shot which was kicked off the line by Meakin.

Dunfermline, who, for most of the second half, had withstood considerable pressure, almost stole the show when Georgeson shot past from a good position.

And with two minutes left they added the final touch of destruction to their Premier League opponents. A Georgeson cross was chipped on by Mullin to Morrison, who headed past King. A fair aggregate victory - but fairy tales are not supposed to have this kind of punch line.

Squad Statistics (as at October 26th, 1977)

1977-78 All Time
League Cups All
Colin King (GK) 1 - 2 - 3 -
Norrie Hall 8 - 9128611
Jim Fallon 10 - 8 - 42427
Tony Gervaise 1 - 1 - 2 -
John McCormack 816 - 181
Dougie Hay 716 - 29717
Billy McColl 10 - 7318632
Gerry O'Brien 4 - 8 - 918
Joe McCallan 10 - 9321477
Sandy McNaughton 5 - 2171
Mike Larnach 1049423382

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match

League Table (as at October 26th, 1977)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Rangers 10 7 1 2 +12 15
2. Aberdeen 10 6 2 2 +8 14
3. Dundee Utd 10 5 2 3 +6 12
4. St Mirren 10 4 3 3 0 11
5. Partick Th 10 5 1 4 -1 11
6. Motherwell 10 4 2 4 +2 10
7. Hibernian 10 4 1 5 0 9
8. Celtic 10 3 1 6 -2 7
9. Ayr Utd 10 3 1 6 -9 7
10. Clydebank 10 1 2 7 -16 4