Clydebank 0
Berwick Rangers 1
League (2nd Division)

0 - 1
 Berwick Rangers

League (2nd Division)
Saturday, November 29th, 1975
New Kilbowie Park. Att. 1,372
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Roddy Georgeson (Pen 88)

Team Managers
Bill Munro

Starting Eleven
1 Roddy McKenzie
2 Norrie Hall
3 Gregor Abel
4 Jim Fallon
5 Bobby Provan
6 Dougie Hay
7 Davie Cooper
8 Sammy Henderson
9 Mike Larnach
10 Joe McCallan
11 Jimmy Lumsden
John Lyle 1
Peter Donaldson 2
Gordon Laing 3
Ben McCabe 4
Roy McDowell 5
Eric Tait 6
Ian Smith 7
Abe Brown 8
Gus McLeod 9
Jocky Miller 10
Roddy Georgeson 11

12 Billy McColl
14 Ian Browning
Jocky Welsh 12
Gordon Welsh 14

None. Gordon Welsh -> Gus McLeod

Norrie Hall
Ben McCabe
Eric Tait

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

D Syme (Referee)

Match Report

Clydebank's proud undefeated League record was dismally smashed at Kilbowie on Saturday. In deplorable conditions, they hit rock bottom form and were sunk by a last-gasp penalty that gave lowly Berwick a victory they neither expected nor deserved.

Unchanged from last week, Bankies turned on the power from the start and the fans who had braved the elements waited for the expected goal-rush. Unfortunately it never materialised for Bankies were completely out of touch and the few chances that they created were sadly missed. Indeed the opening quarter produced few thrills as both teams struggled to combat the heavy, slippery pitch.

Berwick, who had McCabe booked for a foul on Cooper, were playing a very negative game which only added to the all-round frustration and when Bankies did manage a shot on target they found keeper Lyle in excellent form.

A couple of long-range efforts from Hall and a close-in shot from Larnach at one end and a good header by Georgeson from a Smith cross which MacKenzie scrambled for a corner at the other were about the highlights of a disappointing first half which ended with Rangers centre MacLeod being injured after a heavy fall and replaced by Welsh.

On the resumption, Bankies attacked with renewed vigour and Davie Cooper burst into the match. A great run took him past three tackles and his 25-yard drive looked a goal all the way until Lyle produced a tremendous save by pushing the ball over the bar.

Bankies were playing better now and were denied a strong penalty claim in the 65th minute. Joe McCallan took a Cooper cross and as he lined up a shot at goal it appeared as though he was tripped by McCabe. However, referee Syme waved play on.

The best move of the match almost produced the long-awaited opener in the 70th minute. A good cross from Cooper was beautifully headed by Dougie Hay into the path of Joe McCallan, but keeper Lyle again saved his side by brilliantly saving the striker's shot. Cooper also came close as Bankies tried desperately for the elusive first goal but they just could not take their chances,

Tempers became a bit frayed as it was obvious that Berwick were looking for a goalless draw and in a goalmouth scrimmage it appeared that two Berwick defenders had a go at Larnach. The linesman drew the referee's attention to the incident and he duly booked Tait of Berwick.

The spoiling tactics of the visitors were creating tension on and off the park as they wasted time at every opportunity and Norrie Hall seemed particularly agitated. The result was a lunge at Georgeson for which he too was shown the yellow card.

Ironically, disaster struck Bankies in the time added on for wastage by the visitors. Berwick decided that if the ball was in Bankies half then they were safe and surprised themselves by winning a corner. From the kick the unmarked Georgeson rose to head the ball goalward and Bankies supporters stood aghast as Jim Lumsden was forced to arm the ball off the goal-line.

Up stepped Georgeson to score easily from the spot and give Berwick a victory that they could never have expected. They certainly will never contribute so little to a game and come away with two points again and their players couldn't believe their fortune at the finish.

For Bankies it was a sad ending to more than a year undefeated at Kilbowie. They have beaten far better teams than Berwick in that time but have seldom had so much of a game and failed to convert the superiority into goals which, of course, is all that wins games.

Bankies seemed unable to alter their tactics of playing to Davie Cooper who was well policed by at least three defenders every time he got the ball. This should have left room for others to exploit but Bankies never attempted to open the game up and the left side of the park was never used.

Tomorrow Bankies travel to Kirkcaldy where they play the only undefeated League side in Britain, Raith Rovers. The Fifers are challenging strongly for promotion and are only three points behind Bankies, so there can be no slip-ups. Bankies usually step up their performance when it matters most and will be approaching tomorrow's encounter with confidence.

Squad Statistics (as at November 29th, 1975)

1975-76 All Time
League Cups All
Roddy McKenzie (GK) 14 - 8 - 22 -
Norrie Hall 14110 - 2006
Jim Fallon 13 - 8 - 32427
Gregor Abel 14 - 1011482
Bobby Provan 2 - 3 - 451
Jimmy Lumsden 14 - 6 - 20 -
Dougie Hay 1436 - 22715
Sammy Henderson 11 - 10 - 873
Davie Cooper 1471135615
Joe McCallan 14610411432
Mike Larnach 14510413340

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match
29th November 1975
Alloa Athletic2-0Albion Rovers
Brechin City2-2East Stirlingshire
Clydebank0-1Berwick Rangers
Cowdenbeath2-0Meadowbank Th
Forfar Ath0-0Raith Rovers
Queen's Park2-0Stranraer
Stirling Albion1-2Stenhousemuir

League Table (as at November 29th, 1975)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Clydebank 14 10 3 1 +23 23
2. Alloa Athletic 14 8 4 2 +6 20
3. Raith Rovers 14 5 9 0 +7 19
4. Stirling Albion 14 5 5 4 +8 15
5. Stranraer 14 6 3 5 +4 15
6. Cowdenbeath 14 6 3 5 -1 15
7. Queen's Park 14 4 6 4 +2 14
8. Albion Rovers 14 5 4 5 -1 14
9. East Stirlingshire 14 5 3 6 -2 13
10. Brechin City 14 4 4 6 -1 12
11. Stenhousemuir 14 3 4 7 -6 10
12. Forfar Ath 14 2 6 6 -7 10
13. Berwick Rangers 14 4 1 9 -6 9
14. Meadowbank Th 14 1 5 8 -26 7