Raith Rovers 1
Clydebank 0
League (2nd Division)

Raith Rovers 

1 - 0


League (2nd Division)
Saturday, December 6th, 1975
Starks Park. Att. 2,539
3:00 PM Kick-off

John Hislop (84) None.

Team Managers
Andy Matthew Bill Munro

Starting Eleven
1 Murray McDermott
2 Jimmy Brown
3 Billy Brown
4 Chris Candlish
5 Jim Taylor
6 Brian Cooper
7 John Hislop
8 Gordon Wallace
9 Robert Graham
10 David Hunter
11 Ronnie Duncan
Roddy McKenzie 1
Norrie Hall 2
Gregor Abel 3
Jim Fallon 4
Sam Goodwin 5
Dougie Hay 6
Davie Cooper 7
Sammy Henderson 8
Mike Larnach 9
Joe McCallan 10
Jimmy Lumsden 11

12 Don Urquhart
14 Tom Brown
Ian Browning 12
Bobby Provan 14

Don Urquhart -> David Hunter None.

Jim Taylor
Mike Larnach
Dougie Hay
Sammy Henderson (32)
Sam Goodwin (42)
Joe McCallan (82)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

A Ferguson (Referee)
K Cairns & RD Crawford (Assistants)

Match Report

Raith Rovers, the only undefeated senior team in Britain, against Clydebank, unbeaten away from home this season - it was rightly billed as the match of the day in the second division, and 3000 fans turned out to watch the tussle.

They were certainly not disappointed, for this was a superb display of end to end football that was spoiled only by a deplorable display of refereeing.

Mr Ferguson saw fit not only to ignore hs linesman's decisions when they were obviously in a better position but also book seven players in a game that was always hard but never dirty.

He capped his pathetically one sided display by allowing the only goal of the game to stand just eight minutes from time, despite the upraised flag of the stand-side linesman. In the end, together with right back Brown, he was the most important man for the Fifers.

Bankies started well with Sam Goodwin back at centre half, and a 25 yard free kick by Davie Cooper was just wide. Then a planned move from a corner gave the winger another opportunity, but his hard shot was deflected over for another corner, from which Joe McCallan headed over the top from a good position.

Rovers, however, were giving as good as they got, obviously determined to show their fans that they could maintain their league challenge even without leading scorer Malcolm Robertson, transferred to Ayr United last week.

Brown made ground on the right and his cross found Duncan unmarked. He should have done better than shoot high and wide from 12 yards.

The game was flowing splendidly, and a brilliant McFarlane 20 yard drive that crashed off the bar with McKenzie beaten was cancelled out at the other end, when a blockbuster of a shot by Davie Cooper was magnificently turned onto the post by McDermott.

The referee decided to dominate proceedings from the half hour mark, when the first of the bookings arrived. Perhaps justifiably, Sam Henderson found his name in the book for a foul on Hunter, but when Sam Goodwin was also booked for a petty foul on Wallace the ref showed remarkable inconsistency by allowing a spark of retaliation to go unpunished.

The second half started with an unsuccessful penalty appeal at each end, and as both teams went flat out for the all important goal, Mr Ferguson's handling became little short of farcical.

He booked Larnach for something only he knows. Then finally, two home players - Taylor and Brown - found themselves faced with the yellow card. Ironically for harmless fouls after both players had been let off with much more serious infringements.

Then Mr Ferguson made his biggest possible contribution to the Fifers efforts.

Duncan picked up the ball on the left and as the linesman flagged for offside the Bankies defence hesitated. When the winger crossed for the unmarked Hislop to shoot into the net the referee unbelievably took no notice of the flag. Despite heated protest from the Bankies players he allowed the goal to stand.

Bankies were stunned and to add insult to injury both Joe McCallan and Dougie Hay were booked before the end.

Rovers were undoubtedly delighted with the score, and they played well. However, a draw would have been a fairer result in a tremendous match that neither team deserved to lose.

As the teams left the park, Willie Munro voiced his opinion to the single minded Mr Ferguson, for which he received a talking to, and as the ref left the park he was booed by irate Bankies supporters, who were convinced he had Raith as a home win in his coupon.

It would be wrong to blame the referee entirely for Bankies second successive defeat for they really have gone off the boil a little in recent weeks. The biggest problem seems to be a failure to take chances, for Bankies have not found the net in three of their last four matches.

It may be that a change or two will be made for the home match against bottom of the league Meadowbank Thistle, hopefully with someone playing down the left to balance out the rather lop-sided approach that Bankies attack has had in recent games.

Squad Statistics (as at December 6th, 1975)

1975-76 All Time
League Cups All
Roddy McKenzie (GK) 15 - 8 - 23 -
Gregor Abel 15 - 1011482
Sam Goodwin 13210 - 232
Norrie Hall 15110 - 1986
Jim Fallon 14 - 8 - 32327
Dougie Hay 1536 - 22715
Sammy Henderson 12 - 10 - 883
Davie Cooper 1571135715
Jimmy Lumsden 15 - 6 - 21 -
Joe McCallan 15610411532
Mike Larnach 15510413339

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
6th December 1975
Albion Rovers2-2Berwick Rangers
East Stirlingshire0-3Alloa Athletic
Meadowbank Th1-0Stirling Albion
Queen's Park1-0Brechin City
Raith Rovers1-0Clydebank
Stenhousemuir1-2Forfar Ath

League Table (as at December 6th, 1975)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Clydebank 15 10 3 2 +22 23
2. Alloa Athletic 15 9 4 2 +9 22
3. Raith Rovers 15 6 9 0 +8 21
4. Cowdenbeath 15 7 3 5 +1 17
5. Queen's Park 15 5 6 4 +3 16
6. Stirling Albion 15 5 5 5 +7 15
7. Stranraer 15 6 3 6 +2 15
8. Albion Rovers 15 5 5 5 -1 15
9. East Stirlingshire 15 5 3 7 -5 13
10. Brechin City 15 4 4 7 -2 12
11. Forfar Ath 15 3 6 6 -6 12
12. Berwick Rangers 15 4 2 9 -6 10
13. Stenhousemuir 15 3 4 8 -7 10
14. Meadowbank Th 15 2 5 8 -25 9