Clydebank 3
Rangers 'B' 3

3 - 3
 Rangers 'B'

Sunday, December 1st, 1968
New Kilbowie Park
7:30 PM Kick-off

Jimmy Caskie (40)
Jimmy Caskie (45)
Gerry O'Brien (69)
Mullen (7)
Alfie Conn (50)
Alex Miller (pen 73)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
Mike McDonald
Graeme Brockett
Danny Gray
Dennis Ruddy
Paul McMillan
Dougie Hay
John McGunnigle
Gerry O'Brien
Alan Munro
Jackie Woods
Jimmy Caskie
Gerhard Neef 1
Stirling 2
Keddie 3
White 4
Scullion 5
K Watson 6
Wood 7
Stevenson 8
Mullen 9
Miller 10
Heron 11

Frank McAleer
David Beckett
Paul McCone
Clyde 12
Letford 14
Fletcher 15
J Wilson 16
Alfie Conn 17

None. Alfie Conn -> Keddie (45)
Clyde -> K. Watson (75)

Jimmy Caskie (74)
Dougie Hay (76)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

BR McGinlay (Referee)

Match Report

Flashing blue jerseys failed to deter this ultra-bright young Bankies side at Kilbowie on Monday night. Rangers drew first blood and yet Clydebank came back and went onto the second half leading 2-1. In fact, had it not been for a rather stupid penalty, Bankies may have pulled off a win.

Rangers opened the match the stronger team. The Clydebank players seemed to shrink back from the glare of the blue jerseys for the first few minutes, until they realised that even the Gers are only human.

But they were shocked when centre forward Mullen hammered home a Stevenson pass in the seventh minute.

Big Alan Munro of Clydebank as usual, was chasing everything and anything that went near the Rangers goal. On several occasions these tactic came very near to paying off, but didn’t, due to little German keeper Neef of Rangers who showed amazing prowess in goal.

Clydebank’s first goal – the equaliser came in the 40th minute when Jimmy Caskie ran onto a McGunnigle cross from the right wing, and sent a very fast ball past keeper Neef.

Following up quickly, Caskie did it again five minutes later, on the half time whistle, to put Clydebank into the lead when he blasted in a long shot from the left wing.

The Ibrox side made a couple of changes for the second half. Left back Keddie was taken off and replaced by Alfie Conn. Alex Miller moved to left back and Conn took over at inside left.

Conn took only five minutes to score the equaliser. He surprised the Clydebank defence by running in with the ball and sending a low one into the Clydebank goal. McDonald didn’t even see it coming.

With Rangers back on terms, I expected Clydebank to fall away as they have done on the past. But they took on a fluency in passing and teamwork which would have done any First Division team proud.

Gerry O’Brien, playing at inside right, was working wonders with the ball, and he put Clydebank into the lead again in the 69th minute when he ran through the Rangers penalty area, dummied the right back Stirling and hammered the ball past Neef.

This kid has it in him. If only he would show it more often. The latent energy in his boots, as with young Jim Caskie, must be tremendous.

Caskie raised a cheer from the crowd a minute later when he took the ball down the left on a solo run. He was moving very fast and ran the ball to a very acute angle before he shot. The ball crossed the goalmouth and Alan Munro ran into meet it Nut he was beaten for speed.

The equaliser came to Rangers in the 73rd minute when Conn was brought down inside the box. The penalty was taken by Miller, who sent it into the centre of the net.

An unfortunate repercussion of this incident was that Jimmy Caskie had his name taken for speaking to the linesman.

Fifteen minutes from time K. Watson who had been running around with a heavily plastered eye, had to come off. His place was taken by Substitute, Clyde.

Douglas Hay was booked a minute later after a scuffle on the right.

Both teams put up a tremendous display, right up to the final whistle. The youngsters of Clydebank certainly have a lot of rough edges which only experience can smooth off. But one must remember that the average age of this team was less than 18. The potential danger is terrific, and the one thing they don’t lack is guts.

Squad Statistics (as at December 1st, 1968)

1968-69 All Time
League Cups All

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match

League Table (as at December 1st, 1968)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Motherwell 14 13 0 1 +43 26
2. Albion Rovers 16 11 3 2 +8 25
3. Stirling Albion 15 11 1 3 +14 23
4. Forfar Ath 15 10 2 3 +19 22
5. East Fife 15 9 3 3 +13 21
6. East Stirlingshire 15 9 1 5 +20 19
7. Ayr Utd 15 8 3 4 +16 19
8. Queen of South 16 8 3 5 +15 19
9. Stranraer 14 6 4 4 +6 16
10. Queen's Park 16 6 3 7 -4 15
11. Berwick Rangers 16 5 3 8 -9 13
12. Montrose 17 6 1 10 -12 13
13. Hamilton Accies 16 4 3 9 -12 11
14. Cowdenbeath 16 4 3 9 -15 11
15. Clydebank 16 2 6 8 -17 10
16. Brechin City 15 4 1 10 -11 9
17. Dumbarton 16 4 1 11 -18 9
18. Alloa Athletic 16 3 2 11 -13 8
19. Stenhousemuir 15 2 1 12 -43 5