Clydebank 0
Clyde 4

0 - 4

Saturday, March 1st, 1969
New Kilbowie Park. Att. 700
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Harry Hood (48)
Jimmy Quinn (55)
Harry Hood (62)
Ian Stewart (75)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
Dick Madden
Graeme Brockett
Davie Mitchell
Dennis Ruddy
Jim Fallon
Dougie Hay
Gerry O'Brien
Bobby Love
Paul McMillan
Alan Munro
Jimmy Caskie
Tommy McCulloch 1
Harry Glasgow 2
Jim McGregor 3
Jim Burns 4
Jim Fraser 5
Stan Anderson 6
Davie Soutar 7
Harry Hood 8
Jimmy Quinn 9
Ian Stewart 10
Sam Hastings 11

Danny Gray
John McGunnigle
Eddie Mulheron 12

John McGunnigle for Paul McMillan (52)
Eddie Mulheron -> Jim Glasgow

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

J Paterson (Referee)

Match Report

After a patchy first half in which both teams slipped up badly on several occasions, the Clyde forwards ripped open the Clydebank defence and hammered home four well-taken goals in the second hall,

Certainly, Clydebank sadly missed lan Hawkshaw in the forward line. He failed a fitness test before the kick-off, but McMillan who was brought up to centre-forward, did his best to compensate the weakness.

The Clyde forwards went straight into attack and Clydebank 'keeper, Dick Madden, had a close shave in the opening minute.

Clyde star inside-right Harry Hood, took the incentive outside the Clydebank box, ran with the ball and let loose a 20-yarder that would have knocked Madden's head off had he got in the way.

Fortunately for Clydebank, Hood was off target and the ball flew clear, scraping the top of the cross-bar.

Five minutes after this the young Bankies made a break for it and came near to gaining an early lead.

Alan Munro played the ball through the Clyde defence, paused to line up his shot and let go from just inside the box, sending the bladder skimming over the bar.

Gaining confidence, the Kilbowie Kids tried hard to get on top of the big boys from the First Division. But the Shawfielders had other ideas, They had little difficulty in keeping back the bold Bankies.

Munro came close again a little later in the first half when he made contact with a McMillan cross from the right.

Making excellent use of his height advantage, the blond striker flew at the ball and tried to head it into the Clyde goal, but Tommy McCulloch managed to get his fingers to it and knock it clear.

The best chance of the first half came only minutes from the whistle, Centre-forward Jimmy Quinn, recently signed from Celtic, found himself facing an open goal. Dick Madden went down with a bad leg injury.

It looked for a moment as though Quinn had a "dead-cert” at his feet, when right-back Brockett came out of nowhere to knock the shot clear. The sighs of relief from the Clydebank fans must have been heard at Shawfield.

Right from the restart, Harry Hood hit back for Clyde with a vengeance, and it was obvious that this time the Clyde forwards were not going to make any mistakes.

Trampling down a dishevelled Clydebank defence, they gave Madden the most worrying time of his life.

After only three minutes, Hood sent the ball into the left hand corner of the Clydebank net, from just inside the penalty area. Madden didn't stand a chance with this one.

Seven minutes later, Quinn increased the lead when he hammered a ball which was inadvertently allowed to fly across the open Clydebank goalmouth.

Only minutes before this goal was scored, McMillan of Clydebank, who had been playing quite a good game, had to be taken off with a leg injury. His place was taken by McGunnigle.

Aggression being the order of the day, Harry Hood was not prepared to rest on his laurels. In the 62nd minute he blasted the Clydebank defence for a second time and sent the ball humming past Madden's ear for number three.

Trying desperately to regain a hold on the match the wee Bankies tried everything they knew, but experience showed in the long run and Clyde always came out on top.

The Clyde players had a fluency in passing, and spot-on precision in positioning which was sadly lacking in the home team.

The last goal of the match came from inside-left Stewart in the 75th minute. Taking the ball down the right wing, he crossed it into the net from 10 yards. Madden reached the ball but failed to halt its progress.

In my opinion, this was not one of Clydebank's most spectacular efforts.

Squad Statistics (as at March 1st, 1969)

1968-69 All Time
League Cups All

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match
1st March 1969
Alloa Athletic1-2Montrose
Ayr Utd4-0Dumbarton
Berwick Rangers1-3Motherwell
Brechin City4-4Stenhousemuir
East Fife3-2Stirling Albion
Forfar Ath2-4East Stirlingshire
Hamilton Accies1-3Stranraer
Queen of South3-0Albion Rovers
Queen's Park0-1Cowdenbeath

League Table (as at March 1st, 1969)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Motherwell 25 21 2 2 +65 44
2. Stirling Albion 27 20 3 4 +33 43
3. Ayr Utd 24 17 3 4 +43 37
4. Queen of South 26 15 5 6 +28 35
5. Albion Rovers 26 15 5 6 +8 35
6. East Fife 26 14 4 8 +18 32
7. Forfar Ath 25 14 3 8 +18 31
8. East Stirlingshire 24 13 3 8 +19 29
9. Stranraer 25 11 6 8 +10 28
10. Queen's Park 28 10 5 13 -8 25
11. Dumbarton 28 9 4 15 -18 22
12. Clydebank 26 5 11 10 -8 21
13. Montrose 26 9 3 14 -20 21
14. Cowdenbeath 25 7 4 14 -22 18
15. Berwick Rangers 27 6 6 15 -23 18
16. Hamilton Accies 26 5 5 16 -33 15
17. Alloa Athletic 28 4 6 18 -34 14
18. Brechin City 23 5 3 15 -20 13
19. Stenhousemuir 25 2 5 18 -56 9