Clydebank 6
Stirling Albion 5
League (Division 2)

6 - 5
 Stirling Albion

League (Division 2)
Saturday, October 24th, 1970
New Kilbowie Park. Att. 549
3:00 PM Kick-off

Alan Munro (12)
Jim Fallon (pen.) (22)
Jimmy Caskie (52)
Jim Fallon (62)
Dennis Ruddy (77)
Jimmy Caskie (84)
Rab Duffin (19 pen)
Rab Duffin (40)
Joe Hughes (41)
Joe Hughes (49)
Matt McPhee (89)

Team Managers
Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
1 Mike McDonald
2 Davie Mitchell
3 Danny Gray
4 Dennis Ruddy
5 Jim Fallon
6 Dougie Hay
7 Peter Kane
8 Bobby Love
9 Alan Munro
10 Mike Jackson
11 Jimmy Caskie
George Young 1
Jim Logan 2
Jim Hancock 3
Sammy Henderson 4
John Corrigan 5
Terry Christie 6
Rab Duffin 7
Matt McPhee 8
Joe Hughes 9
Kenny Dowds 10
Graeme Armstrong 11

12 Donnie Wilson
David Grant 12

Donnie Wilson for Peter Kane (22)
David Grant -> Terry Christie

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

A Currie (Referee)

Match Report

Unrelenting rain and a meagre crowd of 600 hardly justified this epic 11-goal game. In conditions more suitable for water polo the teams fought out a gripping duel. Clydebank's victory being justified by their marginal superiority in controlling the erratic ball.

The home victory was marred the 20th minute when Peter Kane crashed to the ground with dislocated right shoulder.

The Bankies' formation was minus Jim Wilson and Bobby Doyle, being rested. Albion confused everyone by splashing on to the pitch wearing numbers contrary to the official line-up. This was not a cunning tactical move and in any case no advantage was gained.

With the heavens fully opened, the game got under way with immediate indications that the players were intent on defeating the conditions as well as the opposition.

The pattern of play swung to and from, the first real threat coming when Armstrong swung the ball across the home goal in the sixth minute with no initiative shown by defenders or attackers.

Young got the first of many soakings when he anticipated an accurate shot from Jimmy Caskie from the edge of the penalty area in the 10th minute. Albion were showing greater control under the treacherous conditions, deploying tight, intelligently planned build-ups.

An inspired high speed link-up by Denis Ruddy, Peter Kane, Bobby Love and Alan Munro ended in Clydebank's first and most spectacular goal, on the 12 minute mark. The Bankies inside-right was in horizontal flight when be headed the ball past a disconsolate Young.

Caskie followed this up with another header, just clearing the bar.

Clydebank seemed determined not rest up in the continuous deluge, but got a shock in the 19th minute when Duffin scored Albion's opener from the penalty spot after a disputed Hay handball.

Three busy minutes later Fallon reclaimed the initiative when Peter Kane was floored by centre-half Corrigan. Kane tell badly and was obviously in pain. He refused stretcher assistance and, holding his right shoulder, winced his way to the dressing room to the applause of the expressive but small crowd. Jim Fallon made no mistake with the second penalty within three minutes.

The interruption in play seemed to break the rhythm and a period of relative stalemate lasted for about five minutes. The elements were still opposing both sides with the ball proving unpredictable on the streaming surface.

Donnie Wilson entered the fray after Kane's clash, which later revealed a dislocated shoulder.

McPhee rounded off one of the countless end-to-end runs from Albion by hitting the post with a dangerous attempt at levelling the score, after 33 minutes.

Dougie Hay underlined his value to Clydebank a few moments later when the controversial player put the ball just past the post, with Young at full stretch.

Although Clydebank looked as steady as the rain, Albion scored twice in a minute to take the lead. Duffin stabbed his second goal home in a desperate goalmouth scramble, despite Fallon's attempts to clear. This happened in the 40th minute and 60 seconds later a concentrated attack ripped the re-grouping home defence apart, with Joe Hughes the scorer.

Albion moved straight into the offensive at the restart and the hardy Clydebank supporters must have considered a wet departure when Hughes completed a personal scoring double in the 49th minute. The three architects of the goal were right-half and captain Henderson, inside-right McPhee and Hughes, who beat McDonald with a neat, side-stepping cross from his skipper.

McDonald stood his ground admirably with Albion's rapid attacks from deep in their own half. Apparently unperturbed by their two-goal deficit, the Clydebank striking force, led by Jimmy Caskie, took the initiative and Jimmy netted when he collected the ball after Alan Munro cut across the park.

Mike Jackson urged his men into constant attack and it was Caskie and Munro who were just thwarted in their vigorous efforts after 55 minutes.

Caskie was brought down two minutes later by right-back Logan who received a warning.

The pressure paid off in the 62nd minute with a penalty decision after a visiting defender handled the ball. Fallon executed another perfect penalty and Clydebank lived again. This was after 62 minutes, still with hardly a moment's respite.

Jim Fallon was called on two minutes later for yet another penalty opportunity but held his head in anguish when he shot over the bar.

Dowds was another disappointed man when he failed to head home a cross after another full length run from Albion.

Left-back Hancock's heart was in his mouth when he nearly put the opposition into the lead while clearing from the goalmouth.

This privilege was reserved for Denis Ruddy, the burly right-half connecting with a neat flick from Alan Munro in the 77th minute. Albion replaced Christie with Grant.

With the 600 spectators simulating a capacity audience under the covers, Clydebank went further ahead after 84 minutes when Jimmy Caskie smashed the ball past Young. So Caskie and Fallon chalked up two goals each.

The clouds remained over Kilbowie Park but the inspired home team appeared to get refreshment from this, plus vocal support from the faithful few.

Undaunted by the weather and the spirit of the Bankies, McPhee pulled one goal back in the 89th minute when the Clydebank formation left one gap too many.

The game was fought out to the end with Clydebank worthwhile and happy winners. Although there were four penalties, this was essentially a hard, fast and mainly clean game.

Manager Jack Steedman later said, "It was a fantastic game, one in which defenders were constantly in jeopardy. A game of mistakes-and we made one less than Albion."

Clydebank's stars were Fallon Caskie and Munro. For Albion Duffin, Hughes and Henderson were the most consistent.

Squad Statistics (as at October 24th, 1970)

1970-71 All Time
League Cups All
Mike McDonald (GK) 11 - 6 - 47 -
Danny Gray 8 - 5 - 61 -
Jim Fallon 11362939
Davie Mitchell 11 - 611695
Dennis Ruddy 1116 - 991
Dougie Hay 926 - 1064
Bobby Love 11 - 6 - 842
Mike Jackson 7 - 4 - 11 -
Peter Kane 613 - 91
Alan Munro 117629342
Jimmy Caskie 1156410639
Donnie Wilson (sub) 6 - 52203

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
24th October 1970
Alloa Athletic3-6Arbroath
Berwick Rangers2-2East Stirlingshire
Brechin City1-1Queen of South
Clydebank6-5Stirling Albion
Forfar Ath6-1Stenhousemuir
Hamilton Accies1-1East Fife
Partick Th1-1Dumbarton
Raith Rovers2-2Albion Rovers

League Table (as at October 24th, 1970)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. East Fife 12 7 4 1 +15 18
2. Arbroath 12 7 3 2 +14 17
3. Albion Rovers 12 6 5 1 +10 17
4. Montrose 13 6 1 6 +2 13
5. Clydebank 11 6 1 4 +2 13
6. Forfar Ath 12 4 5 3 0 13
7. Partick Th 10 4 4 2 +12 12
8. Dumbarton 11 4 4 3 +6 12
9. Stranraer 11 5 2 4 +5 12
10. Alloa Athletic 11 5 2 4 +3 12
11. Queen of South 12 4 4 4 -2 12
12. Queen's Park 11 5 2 4 -6 12
13. Raith Rovers 12 3 5 4 -7 11
14. Stirling Albion 11 3 4 4 +7 10
15. Stenhousemuir 13 3 3 7 -15 9
16. East Stirlingshire 13 1 5 7 -17 7
17. Hamilton Accies 10 2 2 6 -8 6
18. Berwick Rangers 10 2 2 6 -10 6
19. Brechin City 11 2 2 7 -11 6