East Fife 0
Clydebank 1
Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)

East Fife 

0 - 1


Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)
Wednesday, February 9th, 1972
Bayview Park. Att. 5,104
7:30 PM Kick-off

None. Tommy McGhee (21)

Team Managers
Pat Quinn Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
1 Dave Gorman
2 Bobby Duncan
3 Peter McQuade
4 Billy McLaren
5 John Martis
6 David Clarke
7 Graham Honeyman
8 Walter Borthwick
9 Joe Hughes
10 Jim Hamilton
11 Billy McPhee
Mike McDonald 1
Davie Mitchell 2
Danny Gray 3
Jim Fallon 4
Norrie Hall 5
Dougie Hay 6
Peter Kane 7
Bobby Love 8
Tommy McGhee 9
Alan Munro 10
Ian Currie 11

12 Doug Dailey Graham MacFarlane 12

Doug Dailey -> Billy McLaren Graham MacFarlane for Ian Currie

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

J Callaghan (Referee)
B Robertson & PJ McGuire (Assistants)

Match Report

Clydebank keeper Mick McDonald summed this game up perfectly, "I thought the second half was never going to end," the big 21year-old admitted. He had pulled of some terrific saves, seen the ball kicked off the line twice on the rare occasions he was beaten and heard the woodwork taking a belting four times as East Fife pulled out the stops in those last 45 minutes.

This was the night the Bankie Babes came of age. And their first signing, Tommy McGhee, played a dual hero's role. He was the man on the spot to net in 21 minutes, a goal that puts Clydebank into undiscovered territory in their short Scottish Cup history.

McGhee was also delegated the part of "shadow" to the Fifers' Jim Hamilton. And as the Methil men poured on the pressure in the second half, back came McGhee in his best role, that of sweeper, to back up Jim “Mr. Dependable" Fallon and his defence. Tommy did the jobs well.

Ian Currie was taken off after McGhee fell back, and the stronger and more experienced Graham McFarlane came on to follow Hamilton around.

Clydebank's doughty dozen dethroned the men from the Kingdom of a cup cracker at Tynecastle on February 26 with a defence that was sometimes cool, sometimes desperate.

But again, as in the first meeting at Kilbowie on Saturday, the Second Divisioners were first to the ball, with Alan Munro doing a grand runner's job up front.

East Fife made full use of the midfield ground left exclusively to them in that second half. Peter McQuade was more than willing to back up his forwards, but too often they were frustrated by Bankies' offside tactics and last-gasp clearances. The Fifers actually had two goals ruled out after off-side.

Almost as happy as goal-scorer McGhee was manager Jack Steedman. "How about that?" he asked. "We might have been a bit lucky. In fact, I think East Fife maybe deserved a goal for their efforts, But again, I think we should have tied it up at Kilbowie."

-----Report 2

A Tommy McGhee goal scored midway through the first half earned Second Division Clydebank a tie against Hearts in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup. The Bankies turned in a stuffy performance at Methil.

The Fifers allowed Clydebank too much latitude in the first half, and by the time they took control and moved forward, it was too late,

The Methil men, too, didn't get many breaks, hitting the woodwork three times, but it was a well deserved victory for Clydebank.

Bankies looked the better side in the opening exchanges There were several nasty moments for the Fife defence before McLaren took some of the pressure off with a neat chip that was well saved by McDonald.

The Clydebank enterprise paid off in the 21st minute when they took the lead. Hay fired a great right foot free kick from the edge of the box, and Gorman could only parry it to MCGHEE, who had a simple job to prod it home.

Sixty seconds later the visitors should have been two in front when Kane missed an empty net from three yards, after good leading-up work by Munro.

The Fifers hit back and Borthwick hit the woodwork twice in as many minutes with headers, first from a McPhee corner and then from a Hamilton free kick.

Clydebank almost slipped in another just after the restart, but Clarke kicked off the line.

Then the Fifers began to move forward, and all the action was around McDonald. In the 58th minute Martis, backing up his forwards, crashed a great 20yarder against the bar.

The Fifers took off right half McLaren in the 65th minute and sent on Dailey. Bankies replied by replacing Currie with McFarlane.

Time was rapidly running out for the first Division men and they threw everything forward but the further the game went on the more it looked as if a shock result was on the cards.

Clydebank with 10 men back, looked very tight and the closest the Fifers could get was a 35yard Borthwick drive which went over and out of the ground.

With time running out, the Fifers became desperate and there was little finesse in the onrushes directed towards McDonald.

Squad Statistics (as at February 9th, 1972)

1971-72 All Time
League Cups All
Mike McDonald (GK) 25 - 11 - 112 -
Davie Mitchell 24 - 11 - 2275
Jim Fallon 25411115914
Danny Gray 1915 - 1101
Norrie Hall 21 - 10 - 432
Tommy McGhee 1317316428
Dougie Hay 22311216810
Bobby Love 23111 - 1484
Peter Kane 2112846333
Ian Currie 1633 - 203
Alan Munro 24711115957
Graham MacFarlane (sub) 11 - 94204

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank's last match
5th February 1972
Berwick Rangers3-0Brechin City

League Table (as at February 9th, 1972)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. Cowdenbeath 25 14 8 3 +33 36
2. St Mirren 24 15 2 7 +26 32
3. Arbroath 24 13 5 6 +15 31
4. Queen of South 23 13 4 6 +17 30
5. Dumbarton 22 12 4 6 +15 28
6. Stirling Albion 21 11 5 5 +17 27
7. Stranraer 24 10 7 7 -2 27
8. Clydebank 25 9 8 8 +3 26
9. Raith Rovers 25 10 5 10 +4 25
10. Montrose 24 10 4 10 +12 24
11. East Stirlingshire 22 9 6 7 +4 24
12. Queen's Park 22 9 6 7 +1 24
13. Berwick Rangers 23 10 3 10 +7 23
14. Stenhousemuir 25 7 6 12 -8 20
15. Albion Rovers 25 7 5 13 -10 19
16. Alloa Athletic 22 6 3 13 -15 15
17. Brechin City 23 5 5 13 -26 15
18. Forfar Ath 23 4 4 15 -39 12
19. Hamilton Accies 24 3 2 19 -54 8