Queen of South 2
Clydebank 2
Scottish Cup (2nd Preliminary Round)

Queen of South 

2 - 2


Scottish Cup (2nd Preliminary Round)
Saturday, January 6th, 1968
Palmerston Park. Att. 2,676
3:00 PM Kick-off

Mike Jackson (34)
Lex Law (86)
John Baxter (44)
Tony Moy (78)

Team Managers
Jack Husband Jack Steedman

Starting Eleven
1 Allan Ball
2 Colin Baillie
3 Mike Barker
4 Billy Collings
5 Jim Kerr
6 Iain McChesney
7 Jimmy Davison
8 Mike Jackson
9 Bobby Carroll
10 Lex Law
11 John Daley
Dick Madden 1
Malcolm Henderson 2
Davie Mitchell 3
Ernie Collumbine 4
Eddie Moore 5
Tommy McGhee 6
Arthur Paterson 7
Stan King 8
Jim Fleming 9
Tony Moy 10
John Baxter 11

12 George Siddle Eddie Jenkins 12

George Siddle -> John Daley (79) Eddie Jenkins for Tommy McGhee (70)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

JM Kelly (Referee)

Match Report

Queen of the South must have been counting their blessings after this thriller; for with only four minutes to go they managed to equalise and that is really cutting it a bit fine.

Local supporters came to this match thinking their team would knock spots out of the "Kilbowie Terrors" but it did not take them long to change their minds.

Queens have a good home record, having won eight, drawn two and lost two, and to be quite frank, I thought Bankies were backing a loser. It would have been very disappointing to travel down to Dumfries if Bankies had lost, but the lads did not let us down. There were a 100 or so other Bankies fans who were there felt the same way.

The home side started off strongly and two good shots by inside left Lex Law came too close for comfort but we had no worries for Dick Madden and the rest of the defence were in top form.

Law's first effort came in eight minutes with an 18 yarder which scraped past the post and he followed this up half a minute later with a similar effort which went by the other post.

The game began to settle down and Bankies tried a sortie in Queen's territory and found the home defence in a shaky position and in fact for some time in the first half their pressure brought moans of despair from among the home fans.

After 20 minutes a Baxter header from a Moy cross let right winger Arthur Paterson in with a chance to score but he headed past the post.

This type of stuff whetted the appetites of Bankies fans for most of the middle period of the first half and Bankies came close on several occasions.

Meanwhile the home forward live was not exactly asleep either and a bit of hard pressure on the 34 minute mark gave them the lead.

A McChesney free kick landed at the feet of the inside man Mike Jackson, the former Clyde and Celtic player. Davie Mitchell hung back waiting for offside to be given by referee Kelly from Motherwell but that whistle never blew and Jackson went through to crash the ball past the helpless Madden.

That's one mistake I'm sure Davie Mitchell will not make again. Never wait for the whistle!

Queen's fans were jubilant and were chasing for more goals(the last time the clubs met Queen's won by five goals to nil) but they had to reckon with a Clydebank side that has learned to fight tooth and nail.

Keeper Allan Ball dropped a Moy header in 38 minutes but recovered in time, then Tommy McGhee ran on to a Fleming pass and thumped the bal past the post one minute from half time.

By this time Bankies supporters were getting frantic and then it was time for a miracle! Arthur Paterson slammed the ball across goal from the left - Jim Fleming missed it - Tony Moy jumped over it - And there was big John Baxter, travelling like an express train, to smash it into the net and all that keeper Ball could do was make a feeble attempt to save.

The time was 44 and 1/2 minutes played. They could not have made it any closer had they tried!

If you think the first half was exciting you should have seen the second. Bankies played like tigers and the home forward line never had so many chances in their naturals! I've never seen a crowd like it for poor shooting. Their attacking moves were good but time and time again their shots went yards past of over the bar.

For most of the second half when it was all Queens with Lex Law the only decent forward where hooting was concerned.

But Law could have put his side ahead in the 50th minute. He had a dazzling run up the right and was faced with an open goal when Madden was drawn out of position but he crashed the ball past the far post.

Bankies fielded substitute Eddie Jenkins in 70 minutes when Tommy McGhee was taken off with a leg knock he had received earlier in the game.

Its getting to the stage now that you don't see a Bankies scoreline without the name of one Will o the Wisp, Tony Moy on it.

In the 78th minute of the game Tony battled his way through a tight defence, being hacked most of the way, to slam the ball past Ball to put Bankies in the lead.

Panic stations for the homesters! They brought on substitute George Siddle in place of left winger Daley and then began to pound the Bankies goal.

Their pressure succeeded and who better to score than inside left Lex Law. The wee man had played his heart out and it was only fitting he should score.

It was a good goal! Right winger JImmy Davison cracked over a fine cross and the wee man threw himself forward to head the ball into the back of the net with only four minutes of the game to go.

Surprisingly the pressure in the remaining four minutes came from Clydebank and, in fact, instead of scoring goals poor Tony Moy got in the way of a cert.

Fleming passed the ball back to Stan King who slammed it towards the goal but the ball struck Tony on the back and was subsequently cleared.

Squad Statistics (as at January 6th, 1968)

1967-68 All Time
League Cups All
Dick Madden (GK) 17 - 7 - 24 -
Stan King 1816 - 241
Davie Mitchell 19 - 7 - 543
Malcolm Henderson 5 - 1 - 6 -
Ernie Collumbine 17 - 7 - 64 -
John Baxter 17371244
Tommy McGhee 1616 - 736
Tony Moy 1915638258
Eddie Moore 15563218
Arthur Paterson 534194
Jim Fleming 13542177
Eddie Jenkins (sub) 10 - 4 - 651

Recent Results

League results since Clydebank FC's last match
6th January 1968
East Fife1-0Albion Rovers
Hamilton Accies2-1Cowdenbeath

League Table (as at January 6th, 1968)

Pld W D L +/- Pts
1. St Mirren 22 17 4 1 +43 38
2. Arbroath 21 14 3 4 +34 31
3. Queen of South 22 12 3 7 +16 27
4. East Fife 21 11 5 5 +7 27
5. Ayr Utd 19 10 3 6 +12 23
6. Hamilton Accies 23 9 5 9 0 23
7. Queen's Park 19 8 6 5 +10 22
8. Albion Rovers 20 8 5 7 +9 21
9. Clydebank 19 9 3 7 +7 21
10. Cowdenbeath 23 7 7 9 0 21
11. Dumbarton 21 7 6 8 -8 20
12. Montrose 21 6 7 8 -5 19
13. Alloa Athletic 21 7 5 9 -13 19
14. Berwick Rangers 19 8 1 10 -12 17
15. Forfar Ath 20 5 6 9 -11 16
16. East Stirlingshire 20 5 5 10 -5 15
17. Brechin City 20 4 6 10 -16 14
18. Stranraer 21 3 3 15 -30 9
19. Stenhousemuir 20 3 3 14 -38 9